Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Port 2: Belize City, Belize

Belize City was a replacement port announced about six months prior to the trip.  The original port was to be their new private island, however construction delays pushed back the opening at least a year at this point.
I woke early, and thought I’d try something different and went to O’Sheehans.  I didn’t like this as much because it had almost zero view of the ocean, and it had TVs that although the volume was low, it was still distracting.  And when another couple came in they sat them right next to me, despite the fact the restaurant was all but empty.
I don’t have many photos of the morning.  This was the point in the trip where you should have a routine; but, in fact, you do not.

We could barely make out the mainland when we anchored.
DSC_5263DSC_5266DSC_5268DSC_5269
20160518_082341
DSC_5272DSC_5273

We ate a lot of yogurt parfaits and peaches and blueberries in the mornings.DSC_5274
Pound cake french toast with dark chocolate syrup.  Yes it’s real.  I never did have it.
DSC_5276DSC_5277
I will also say that while we very much enjoyed our trip and would absolutely cruise with NCL again, they aren’t stellar with getting off at ports.  We’d booked this day’s excursions through the ship and they did have our tickets waiting for us in our staterooms when we boarded.  They also told us where to meet them shore-side.  But they did not tell us anything about tendering.  Early in the AM they had signs in the elevators that directed people to Tropicana on deck 7 for tendering.  When we arrived at Tropicana, it was closed.  That kind of thing. 

When we asked others what they understood us to do, no one knew what to do. 
Finally, we found a crew member who got us to the right place.  Along with many hundreds of other people. 
It took a while to get on a tender.  And then we were on there like sardines.  I didn’t take many photos there, either. 
DSC_5279
We were told to check in at 10:45AM I think, and we were there in plenty of time.  Our tourguide, Lourdes, directed us to shop or look around the port and be back on time.  It was tremendously hot and exceedingly humid.  It was like a city-sized sauna packed with people.  I loved it.  I just do love it.  The other nine members of my party weren’t as enamored.  I suggested to John that the purchase of soft drinks for the kids might generate the kind of goodwill that NATO only dreams of, and we went in a pharmacy and let them each pick a bottle.  We did decide not to purchase Flexeril, Percocet, and Allopurinol…  I would have taken a photo of that, but signs strictly forbade it.  (And I Belized their threats.)
We finally boarded an “air conditioned motor coach” which was nicer than any other vehicle we saw in this beautiful, but underprivileged country.  We had a 35 minute drive inland.  Lourdes provided an informative and impressive history of the city and country, and a vivid description of life in Belize City these days.  The time flew by.  She was great at what she does.
They rely 90% on tourism.  That’s a very volatile thing to rely on.  :(
 
Some photos John got from the bus.
20160518_111757
20160518_11185420160518_111918

This IS a park, but it is NOT a beach.  The coastline is nothing but rocks.  It’s sad that a country that needs tourists was not blessed with beaches.  :(
20160518_11223320160518_11225520160518_11240820160518_112737

This is a major river.  I did not catch the name.  I did catch the fact that it is loaded with crocodiles and other unsavory water animals.  We didn’t stop for a dip.
20160518_113728
We got to our destination: Bacab Jungle Park.  It is basically a lovely pool, some pathways, some food, and a few opportunities to rent kayaks or horses.
The bus let us off at what can only be described as the end of a dirt path.
 
DSC_5280DSC_5282DSC_5285
 
20160518_120724
20160518_120557
We walked 300 yard through some lush foliage until we came to the pool area and were promptly met by this guy.
 
DSC_5288
I didn’t take any photos for the longest time then.  We were HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We just wanted in the pool.  We reapplied sunscreen and made haste to the water.
DSC_5293
After we cooled off we got our plates of food.  This was the most authentic food we ate on the vacation.  I felt as though our other destinations American-ized their food. 
IMG_7035
After we were cooled off and fed, I went off to take more photos.
DSC_5290
This is where people could kayak.  I did not see anyone do it.  There are crocs in there, we were told. 
DSC_5291DSC_5292DSC_5296DSC_5298DSC_5299DSC_5301DSC_5319DSC_5320DSC_5321DSC_5322DSC_5324DSC_5326DSC_5329DSC_5330
That is a waterslide on the left.  It is short, but FAST.  We all tried it.










DSC_5307
We have another fish in the family.
DSC_5314IMG_7027
These guys would come right up under the tables.
IMG_7033IMG_7037
Once again I was one of the last families out of the pool.
At first I felt cheesy back home as I booked an in-land “jungle park” excursion for our family.  I’m really glad we did it.  They clearly prided themselves on service, and it was the closest thing to a relaxing day we had. 
We got back on board our bus, and Lourdes talked with us some, but also encouraged siestas.  Some Butlers took her up on it.
Once we got back to the pier and the shopping district (I am kicking myself for no photos there) we moved toward the tenders.  These tenders were not NCL’s own lifeboats, as our tenders had been on Princess in 2014.  The tenders we used for Belize were Belizean.  On both the way to and from Belize they not only shared safety details and information about Belize, but they were also very friendly and very upfront that they depend on our tips. 
I stopped on the pier a moment to try to get a shot of our ship in the distance.  I was not able to get it (line moving too quickly) BUT I was “able” to get separated from my family and ended up getting routed to the top deck of the tender, while my family had boarded on the lower deck. 
DSC_5332DSC_5336DSC_5337DSC_5338DSC_5340
It afforded me lots of opportunities for taking photos.
DSC_5342DSC_5343DSC_5346DSC_5348 - CopyDSC_5351

I should probably turn in my camera for lack of meaningful photos this day.  But we had a good time.  I swam so much my hands were pruney. 
We cleaned up for dinner quickly as we had dinner reservations at Cagney’s, NCL’s premium steakhouse.  We’d heard a lot of good things about it.  We weren’t disappointed.
DSC_5353
Many of us enjoyed the shrimp cocktail.
DSC_5356
Even the really tired travelers.
DSC_5357
My steak was perfect, if not ginormous.DSC_5361
Nigel opted for lobster and prime rib.
DSC_5362

Stewart had preordered a Porterhouse based on Dad’s recommendation.  And he was not disappointed.  He also had asked if he could have a grilled tomato.  Grilled tomatoes are something Stewart first tried on DCL in 2014 and we have since learned to make ourselves.  They are some of his favorites.
DSC_5364
This is someone’s seafood dish.  I think Kelly’s or Marie’s.  My kids ate enough Calamari this week to sink the Nautilus. 
DSC_5367
This was the joke of the meal.  This is my side of onion rings.  They were cold and gross; all four of them.
DSC_5369
My mushrooms were decidedly much better.  I shared with Tab.
DSC_5370
Desserts were pretty good. 
DSC_5371
Oh – and if kids order “cookies” of the kids’ dessert menu they get a plate for FOUR big cookies.  FOUR???  We helped her every night. 
DSC_5373
My apple crisp dish was a delicious, if not rare, departure from chocolate. 
DSC_5374
Hanny ordered the brownie from the adult menu, as opposed to the kid one.  She decided after that night to stay with the kids’ desserts.  She declared this one as being too rich.  Her words.  Yes, she’s been hanging out in fancy restaurants too much. 
DSC_5376
The big kids went to clubs or to play mini golf.  I took the little girls to the room.  They were excited to see tonight’s towel animal, and even more tickled to see Figaro incorporated.
DSC_5379
Anna saw us head in and came to say goodnight.  My girls really liked to visit with her and she was super chatty and just loved the girls.  We continue to pray for Anna.
DSC_5381
It was another good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment